I don’t know if it’s any kind of record, it doesn’t matter, but I asked a barrage of questions on Sunday. 21 total. Overboard? Probably! Will it happen again? Probably not! Paul Terry Walhus
- 9:08:01 am Blackmagic launches free professional filming ‘Camera’ app for iPhone. How do you rate it? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-camera/id6449580241
- 9:29:20 am TikTok’s US staff complain about a new internal app to track office attendance; TikTok requires most staff to be in the office three times a week from October. Trend? Comment? https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/tiktoks-rto-tool-raises-eyebrows-5474849/
- 09:34:53 am Microsoft CTO Kevin Scott’s OpenAI-or-bust strategy rankled some staff who found their AI projects pushed aside and their resources curtailed is transforming Bing, Excel, Word, etc. What can we expect? https://twitter.com/kevin_scott
- 9:48:38 am How do you measure “no one left behind”? https://officehours.global/join-us/about
- 10:00:11 am Constance Grady with Vox notes that Walter Isaacson’s Elon Musk biography is a book of rigorous and dogged reportage, but lacks analysis and often ignores the moments at which Musk’s flaws scale. Do you agree? Have you or will you read this book? https://www.vox.com/culture/23872485/elon-musk-walter-isaacson-biography-review
- 10:08:57 am Your thoughts on Apple’s Wonderlust event, including the Mother Nature skit, Apple Watch, iPhone 15 lineup, the AirPods Pro 2 and iPhone 15 Pro Max. https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/09/15/apples-iphone-15-apple-watch-event—-what-we-loved-and-didnt
- 10:21:29 am An ai photo app gives you a “perfect photos” of yourself. Would you like to look “perfect”? https://petapixel.com/2023/09/07/new-ai-photo-app-aims-to-give-users-perfect-pictures-of-themselves/
- 10:24:22 am When I think about telling people outside of Office Hours that I’m “producer” I hesitate a little because I may be giving myself too much credit? Is producer the best way to phrase it? https://screencraft.org/blog/understanding-feature-producer-credits/
- 10:34:21 am Any tips or pointers on installing MacOS Sonoma? How would you set it up as a dual boot from an external drive? https://www.macworld.com/article/671172/how-to-update-macos.html
- 10:41:35 am With 0-days hitting Chrome, iOS, and dozens more this month, is no software safe? https://arstechnica.com/security/2023/09/with-0-days-hitting-chrome-ios-and-dozens-more-this-month-is-no-software-safe/
- 10:44:46 am Can there be a mechanism where the questioner provides the graphics as part of the question, that sort of happens with urls already but could it be systematized so it happens regularly? https://blog.airsquirrels.com/how-to-share-your-iphone-ipad-android-or-tablet-screen-in-a-zoom-meeting
- 10:45:29 am Olga Kharif of Bloomberg notes that one year after Ethereum’s Merge, developers approve a change to slow down staking, which has emerged as one of a few reliable ways to earn returns in crypto. Just what are they talking about? https://fortune.com/2023/09/16/ethereum-developers-slow-staking-source-of-reliable-crypto-returns/
- 10:47:38 am Lifting the Veil, Behind the Scenes of Ehrengard is a behind the scenes view of the sets and costumes of Ehrengard. What are other great “behind the scenes” films? This was just released on Netflix. Highly recommend! Must watch Ehrengard! https://www.netflix.com/title/81702546 See footnote.
- 10:48:19 am Can you demonstrate some exercises to do while sitting in a chair? https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/activity/chair-based-exercises/5-more-chair-based-exercises https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/strength-and-flexibility-exercises/sitting-exercises/
- 10:50:13 am A look at the proliferation of pirated movies and TV shows on TikTok, posted as small clips by accounts that don’t appear to make any money from the content. Discuss. https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/tiktok-movies-1.6874102
- 10:50:32 am Where’s the best place in Northern Cal, Oregon, Washington, or British Columbia to work from home and stay fit? Or would you be better off in the South, Midwest or ? https://www.earthtrekkers.com/best-places-to-work-remotely-in-the-usa/
- 10:51:20 am Will AI kill us? Can it be regulated? What about China?
- 10:51:37 am Will you experience CloudWorld On Air for free and catch keynotes, sessions, and Oracle TV with interactive live streams and on-demand content? Or will you just go to Vegas and see it IRL? https://www.oracle.com/cloudworld/
- 10:51:55 am Ashlee Vance / Bloomberg takes a look at D Billions, a network of YouTube channels run by Kyrgyzstan-based media company AWA and which got billions of views by teaching kids words via songs Talk about it. Comment. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-15/d-billions-youtube-is-a-made-in-kyrgyzstan-hit-kids-show
- 10:52:20 am Meta is finally bringing Horizon Worlds out of virtual reality. The 3D social platform has previously been exclusive to its VR headsets, but Meta announced on Thursday that Horizon Worlds is starting to roll out on mobile and the web in early access. https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/14/23873820/meta-horizon-worlds-mobile-web-vr-early-access-release
- 10:52:46 am Do you recommend the LG 28MQ780-B 28 Inch SDQHD (2560 x 2880) Nano IPS DualUp Monitor with Ergo Stand, DCI-P3 98% (Typ.) with HDR10, USB Type-C (90W PD) – Black at $617. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lg-28mw70-dualup-monitor
Footnote and Spoiler Alert! – Ehrengard: The Art of Seduction is a Danish film based on the novel Ehrengard by Karen Blixen.
The film is about a young painter named Casotte (Mikkel Boe Følsgaard) who is hired by the Grand Duchess to teach her son how to find a wife. Casotte becomes infatuated with a woman named Ehrengard (Alice Esther Leisner).
The plan backfires and leads to scandal and unexpected romance. The film is set in the fairy-tale kingdom of Babenhausen. The Grand Duchess wants to secure an heir for her son, Prince Lothar.
The plan takes a dramatic turn when an heir is conceived out of wedlock. The royal family must flee. The film stars Sidse Babett Knudsen and Mikkel Boe Følsgaard. Bille August directed the film. It is rated 1.5/5 on Rotten Tomatoes.